Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lots of dialogue, and a new outline

I spent the last three or four days watching season six of Dexter.  Oops.  Jordan and I finished it last night, though, and immediately after I got back to work.

I thoroughly enjoyed writing today.  Up until now I had been afraid that my story might solely involve questions of love and right versus wrong.  I wanted to make sure I had other things going for my story.  Before today I'd had some vague ideas on how to branch out, but I wasn't sure about how to execute it.  I think I got it today, or at least a good start.  Enter more psychology material.  I'm putting my college education to good use.

The scene was a lot of fun to write, and it went by quickly.  I mostly wrote the dialogue, so I didn't slow myself down with the other details of the scene (aside from brief descriptions of what I needed to fill in the blanks later).  That came to about 1,000 words.  By the time I go through it later and add enough to flesh it out a little, I'm hoping that scene will be closer to 2,000 words.  Maybe more if I can add to it's plot. 

Writing with a specific scene in mind was so much easier that I spent the rest of my time for the day working on a more concrete outline.  The one I originally made dealt a little more with the general feeling of the book as it progressed, with a few key scenes described.  I wasn't sure how to connect certain points, and sometimes I only had a murky sense of what was coming.  I'm trying to create one that would list the specific scenes in order.  Hopefully a couple days of this will speed things up.  As usual, it won't be set in stone.  I still want to be able to change it if I come up with new ideas.

I'm debating whether I should release more information about what my novel is about.  I think I'm guarding it more than I need to, and even if someone were to try to write something similar it wouldn't be the same book at all.

I've also had a little fun lately visualizing what I have written as actual pages in a paperback book.

Total Word Count: 13533 (15%; = about 45 pages!)

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so here's what I need to know about it:

    - Lasers?
    - Flying cars?
    - Crazy hairstyles?
    - Visceral, lurid descriptions of everything from emotional conflicts and action scenes to what the root beer tastes like and that itch on the protagonist's ear?

    I bet not, but I do wanna know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no x4, sadly. My descriptions are usually nowhere near that intense.

      Delete
  2. P.S.: Does anyone forget anyone else's birthday?

    ReplyDelete