Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Getting back on that horse

I know, I know, it has been a while.  I got distracted.  I blame trying to watch every episode of Dexter in existence.  No more though.  I have decided that until I get a good chunk of my book done, I won't be playing catch-up with any TV shows or even reading any more novels (unless to observe technique).  Those were also an issue.  It may mean stopping halfway though what I've already started reading, but I really just want to get going again.

A couple changes.  I have recently found myself a writing buddy.  I found her on the forums at nanowrimo.com.  We're still learning about what each other is trying to write and accomplish, but I'm already optimistic that we will make a good match.

For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.  The idea is that during the month of November, participants attempt to write 50,000 words in thirty days.  The site has all sorts of tools to help the writers, mainly in the forums.  People list characters they thought up but have no use for so other writers can 'adopt' them if they so choose, as well as titles, character quirks, anecdotes/childhood stories, first sentences, character weaknesses, etc.  Other forums offer advice if people get stuck or have a problem with their story.  Essentially, everyone tries to help each other, so it is a great resource during that month.  I've always wanted to do it, but I've never really put aside the time to do it.

Before you point out to me that November is six months away, they do have other events.  November is the main one, however they have recently started doing 'summer camps,' which are essentially the same thing over the summer.  I'm assuming they aren't as well attended, but I may use them to boost me into a lot of writing.  Fifty thousand words may not be enough to make my novel, but it would certainly get me underway.  The first 'camp' starts in June.  I'll probably write a little before I get into the 50k for June.

If I can write 50k words in a month that will be some sort of miracle.  To do that I wouldn't be able to edit as I go, which is a bad habit but oh so horribly tempting.  Maybe that high goal will get me on track if I don't have the time to edit.  I remember writing a novella for my Senior Out of School Experience and, procrastinator that I was, I was stuck writing about 10,000 words the night before it was due.  Surely I can manage 1,667 words a day after that... only I'd have to do it every day.

Another feature NaNo offers:  regional writing groups.  The site allows people to find other people in their area so they can get together to socialize, write, and get help from each other.  I've been getting emails for a while, now, about the occasional meetings they have at the local Barnes and Noble, and the next one is today.  I think I'm going to try going.  I know that if I'm going to finish something as huge as a novel I am going to need support from other people with writing experience... might as well immerse myself in the writing community.

I also decided to buy a book called Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maas.  It came highly recommended on a few different websites and was written by someone in the publishing business, so he knows what publishers are looking for.  It has made good arguments so far on what makes a book more more appealing.  I'm glad to see that I've been doing a lot of things the 'right' way (according to him), but I've also found a lot to think about that I hope to apply to my writing.  Granted, it's about how to get published more than how to write better, but I'm kind of counting on that they are for the most part two sides of the same coin.  That seems to be the case so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment