Thursday, May 3, 2012

NaNoWriMo Writing Group

So I've attended my first writing group session.  I went to the bookstore with my laptop but at first couldn't even figure out who were the NaNoWriMo-ers.  I should have expected it'd be a favored spot for students studying for their finals.  There were laptops everywhere.  Turns out I missed the sign that clearly displayed the NaNo symbol.  I was intimidated at first (let's face it, all of them have much more experience than I have), but everyone was extremely welcoming.  A few of the people had already written several full-length books and novellas (at various stages of editing and revisions) and a few have self-published books available. I'm pretty impressed, and would love to reach that point someday.

The particular scene that may have derailed my earlier attempt to write this novel came up at the session.  Considering that I've never woken up from a coma before, I'd had difficulty writing anything I was happy with.  I got a few suggestions that should give me some direction, some of which involved me recalling what it feels like waking up after a night of heavy drinking... or reliving the experience if I need a reminder what it is like.  All for the sake of art, of course.  Seriously though, the comparison a terrible hangover gave me something to work with.  No need to get drunk.  Also on my to-do list: watch Life on Mars and Sliding Doors.  I'm wary of the former because it is a TV series, and those do terrible things to my productivity.  They take too much time and I tend to watch multiple episodes back-to-back.  But, if it might give me some inspiration for my book...

I'd intended to come home afterwards and do some good writing, but by the time I got home, then got my car back from the shop, blah blah blah, I ended up not really having the time.  Whoops.  I swear I've got the best intentions still!  I've been reviewing the notes I'd made on all my characters, and after that I'm going back to coma-scene.  If that fails, I'll just have to accept temporary defeat and come back to it later.  At the very least, the weekend is coming up.  I may be going to a Kentucky Derby party, but other than that I'm hoping I'll get to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment