Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Writing in OBX

I have been in the outer banks in North Carolina for just a few days now.  Although I decided not to write anything on my travel day, I am proud to say that on my first full day that I did, in fact, meet my 1,000 words goal.  I slipped on my second day because I kept falling asleep, but since today is cloudy I've already written 600 words this morning.  Today may be a good day to rent kayaks.

Writing here has been a little challenging.  I'm not short on ideas, but with everyone here it is difficult to want to close myself off to what everyone else is doing and focus on writing.  It hasn't stopped me, though, and everyone here is encouraging.  One of our family friends who came with us has some experience writing, and has offered to proofread my work (when I no longer think that it would be embarrassing to hand it off to someone else).  My dad has been trying to encourage me by showing me a novel he loves that became a big hit solely through self-publishing and word-of-mouth (just in case no publisher wants my story WHEN I manage to finish it).

It may be because of all the potential distractions that I am jumping around a little in my writing.  Normally I write more chronologically, but I've been leaving these blank spots where I'm  not really sure what happens.  It makes me uneasy even though I know it isn't a bad thing.  It could help me out in the long-run, because I'm still writing things out and, who knows, maybe I'm just writing these particular parts because I'm just particularly inspired about them.

Something kind of interesting is that somehow two characters just invented themselves this morning.  I hadn't planned to add them in, and I don't really have a good grasp of who they are yet.  I'm not really sure where else I can fit them in to the story, so I may have to make some changes to my outline.

I should get back to writing.  Between Jordan, my friends and I cooking dinner tonight and my brother arriving this evening, I need to get this done now.

total word count: ~6,000

No comments:

Post a Comment